- For a list of suggestion for debugging common Linux issue, please see page RZ-G/debug_tricks
This section provides a general overview of the debugging options when working with the RZ Family.
When discussing debugging on a Linux based platform, there are 2 topics to discuss:
- Debug System options to choose from
- What you will be debugging
First we will outline what are the common system options to choose from, then go into where you can/cannot use them.
Below is a list of what your options are for Debug Systems, both free and commercial.
- PowerDebug Series
- JTAG Interface is used
- Options are available for advanced debugging features. You purchased what you need.
- Support and version updates for additional costs.
- Partner Jet Series
- Software requires yearly maintenance cost.
- Used by Renesas teams in Japan (since they can get local support)
- J-Link Series
- Only for RTOS debugging, no Linux debugging
- For RZ/G, only the CM33 core is supported. The CA55 core is not supported.
- Free open source software
- Requires a JTAG adapter. Many options to choose from.
- The JTAG adapter you use does not need to be smart. It only needs to send/receive raw data packets. This means you can use some $20 JTAG adapters if supported by OpenOCD.
GDB: The GNU Project Debugger
- This is a software solution. No JTAG.
- You can debug user applications over Ethernet, USB, Serial or on command line on the target board.
- The debug interface is command line. Or, you can use gdbserver to allow a connection to a graphical front end.
- Graphical front end for debugging
- Requires gdbserver to be running on a target board
Depending on what software you will be debugging will determine what debug options are available.
CM33 sub-core Debugging
Linux Kernel and Device Drivers
OpenOCD with the RZ/G2
- Getting OpenOCD working with the RZ/G2 family
- Page: RZ-G/RZG_openocd
Eclipse Development and Debugging with RZ/G2
- Using the Eclipse Graphical Debugger with the RZ/G2 family
- Page: RZ-G/RZG2_Eclipse_develop_and_debug
ARM Performance Monitor Unit (PMU) on RZ/G2L
- Provide useful information for debugging and performance profiling for ARM based platform and the driver is already included in linux kernel.
- Page: RZ-G/Enable_PMU_support_for_RZ/G2L